Sunday, September 12, 2010

Family Portrait out in the desert



While out in SoCal I got to meet up with my friend Shaun. We used to ride dirt bikes when he lived here in Colorado. Recently he lost his job with Wagner, his house and got a divorce all in about four months. Hard times for sure.

Shaun moved back to California to help out his dad and while he was out there ran into Kim and her kids. They new each other from way back and have been catching up and spending a lot of time together. It's good seeing Shaun happy again.

They invited me to go dirt bike / ATV riding out in the desert since I was out in Cali and I gladly accepted. I wish Athena could have come but it was to close after surgery and the doctor wouldn't allow it.

We rode all day out in the middle of no where and had a total blast. I got that blue 450cc ATV up to 93 mph top gear wide open at one time. It was so fast!!! Afterwards I asked everyone to get together for a quick photo.

I set up two speed lights about 45 degrees from each other pointing towards the group. Turned them on and BAM BAM BAM off they went right into my face. While I waited for my vision to return I started singing "blinded by the light...."

It seams high powered overhead power lines emit a strong enough signal that they set off my radio triggers. So the flashes kept popping.

What to do? I couldn't move everyone we were on a time limit so I moved the light stands about five feet and they popped off only every once in a while. I could work with that. I just needed one good shot.

All in all I took three shots that day. Two of them were usable. Above is the best one.


No comments: