Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Vivitar 285HV mod for PocketWizard.

Last week I was educating myself on Strobist and found instructions for a modification to the Vivitar 285hv flash. Over at Shutter Snap Studios they posted a way to modify these flashes so they could plug straight in and fire them without the Vivitar proprietary jack.

This has been the number one reason why I can't trust my 285's 100%. Once I read the article, the light bulb went off to change their design from a female 3.5mm (1/8")mono jack to a male 3.5mm (1/8")mono jack. This would make it so the flash would fire 100% of the time when connected to my PocketWizard receiver.

I decided to make a video of what I did so everyone out in webland can see what all it takes and how easy it is.

**** I am not liable for any damage you do to your flash, camera or gear. By following these directions you take full responsibility.****

2 comments:

Efrain Cruz said...

Hi John. Great post, love the video. What are the results? Are your flashes firing 100% of the time without misfires?
I was glad to see your smile of satisfaction at the end, I know it well. Cheers, Efrain

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!