Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai workshop



Not to long ago I got to take the Natural Lighting Portraiture workshop from Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai . It was one of the funnest workshops I've ever taken. First off considering I'm way more comfortable with off camera flash this was a very challenging time. CJ reminded me why I bought a light meter and recommended even though I shoot digital I should use it for available light. All the photos taken this weekend were shot with available light - no flash. -Yikes!




The main draw to the workshop was the "how to talk with models and/or your subject". Cheryl did a terrific job explaining how she works with a new client or model. Now I truly understand how she gets that connection in her photos.



We got to turn our photo shoots into "getting to know you" Interview shoots. To me it sure is easier to understand lighting and how radio transmitters work then sitting down without hiding behind my camera then getting to know my subject



So for two days I didn't fire a flash or hide behind my big camera. I talked, communicated, listened and got wrapped up in the storys of what makes the person special to the world and why am I photographing them. This shows up in the fact I only got one good shot of Phelyx. (I've got to spend more time with that guy to get some more shots. We talked for 45 minutes & I only took 4 frames.) (oops)



So to make things harder on us. CJ decided to invite some very talented local performers. A couple burlesque dancers and a metal bending magician. O'ryan is a fun girl who loves a martini and a good book. She will climb all over trains for a shot. She has a great Pin-Up look that photographs well.



Shotza is a bubbly dancer that is willing to try just about anything. She is quite funky to have around and has huge dog that's twice her size.





Next was Phelyx, the only guy I know who is kicked out of Blackhawk & Central City and it isn't for counting cards. He is very talented and has some amazing stories. He'll even bend a fork right in front of your eyes and barely be touching it.



The workshop is absolutely a blast I had a great time. To find out more about CJ's next workshop checkout her web. You can see more of all these characters down at Lannies Clocktower Cabaret. - even CJ as she sings down there sometimes too.



1 comment:

Mark Hayes said...

Love the shots, will have to keep my eye out on her workshops, looks like a winner.