Friday, January 30, 2009

Making Mom look good.

I spent last week out in California visiting my wife's family and friends. I'll be posting more about that soon.

Since, Las Vegas is only four hours from Orange County I decided to make a road trip to spend a day with mom. I got to Vegas about 3pm and waited for mom to get home from work. She's a manager of show tickets at the Excalibur. I didn't have to wait to long and the weather in Las Vegas is awesome this time of year. When she got home I told her I wanted to do a quick portraiture of her all dressed up in her business suit.




I ask her to stand our on the balcony with the late afternoon sun in the background. I wasn't to impressed with the plain light so I pulled out my special hard-wired Vivitar 285hv, a lightstand and an umbrella. I Set the 285hv to 1/16 power since it was about 3 feet on her right. I decided to get up high and shoot down on her to eliminate the roofs in the background. I took several shots thinking I got what I wanted. I told mom that would do it and started looking at the shots. I didn't like the darkness on her left, so I yelled to put her jacket back on, I wanted to try one more thing.

I pulled out another specialty hard-wired Vivitar 285hv (set at1/8) with a LumoPro LP653 Studio Clamp mounted to the storage door on the side of the balcony. I took a couple shots. It was to much light, so I dialed it back down to 1/16 then closed the door to make it as far away from my subject as possible. A few more test shots a step this way then, that way and boom that's the exposure.




Mom looks really nice and professional. Not bad for a lady who spent 15 years of her life cleaning other peoples houses to raise two sets of twins.

Later that night we went down to The Strip for some night shots and ice cream.
-Thanks Mom!



Click on any of the photos to see the rest of the pictures.


No comments: