Saturday, January 31, 2009

The middle of No Where, California.

Have you ever driven to the middle of no where to hang out with family?

That's what I did two Monday ago. Athena's neice lives over in Lake Havasu, Az. She wanted to see us and we haven't seen the in a long time so, after some planning we decided to meet in Ludluw, CA. It's not much of a town, in fact there isn't a standing building even on Main Street. Ludluw is one of those old dying mining towns that still have a gas station and a cafe. The food was pretty bad but then again we shouldn't of had high hopes with a "B" rating from the health inspector.



However, there is some old burned down buildings and the old Mercantile building is barely still standing. So we all went out exploring. I tried doing some walking portraits as we went along.

Then decided I wanted a family portrait with everyone infront of the Merc. This part callapsed in one of Californias many earthquakes.



I set up one of my trusty sh-w Vivitar 285hv flashes connected to a PocketWizard classic. Shot through an umbrella on a light stand just out of the frame on camera left.



Here I used my lovely wife to model for me as I attempted to get the setting sun in the background and a nice portrait without using any flash.

Then we walked over by the railroad tracks and I used a voice activated light stand (thanks Josh) for these by the train. The sun had already set and I was trying to find a nice balance.



Even though Ludluw doesn't have much to do. Being in the middle on no where with some subjects, a camera and lighting gear you can make any place fun.


Click on any of the photos to see the rest of the pictures.


No comments: